Grubb Parsons 75 cm (30 inch)
- This telescope was bought specifically for the Sutherland Observatory when the Observatory opened.
- As Sutherland is a prime observing site this telescope became redundant and it was decided to use the dome for more modern equipment. Both the Grubb Parsons 75 cm (30-inch) and the Boller and Chivens 50 cm (20-inch) were donated to other establishments. This telescope was donated to University of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) in 2015. [News Note, Mnassa v74 n1-2, p3]
S.A.A.O. 1972 – 2015.
University of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN)
Sutherland 1972 – 2015.
2015 – present
University of KwaZulu Natal
Aperture: 30 inch (75 cm)
Mounting: The Multiple Refractor Mount (MRM)
Manufacturer: Grubb Parsons
Building: The 30-inch dome at Sutherland
- News Note: SAAO donates 0.5-m and 0.75-m telescopes; MNASSA Vol 74 nos 1 – 2, February 2015.
- Smits, P., A Brief History of Astronomy in Southern Africa. (Unpublished)
- The South African Astronomical Observatory, p.4.
(Publication of SAAO, no author, no date)