69 cm (27 inch)
- Earl Slipher of Lowell University used this telescope to take photo’s of Mars in 1939. This was the first colour photographs taken of Mars. (Schindler p.148)
- The telescope was a refractor with a 27-inch lens. The lens was supplied by Jena in Europe and was of exceptional quality and had great resolution power. It was the biggest refractor in the Southern Hemisphere when it was installed in 1928. The telescope was temporarily installed on its base just outside Detroit
Observatory of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. It was taken to South Africa in November 1926. It was primarily used for the discovery and measurement of double stars.
- When the Observatory was closed down Michigan University gave the building and telescope away free of charge: the telescope fell into the hands of the Municipality and the building went to PACOFS. PACOFS took good care of the building and is still maintaining it. The telescope met a more unfortunate fate, though it is still salvageable. The telescope consisted out of a tube (consisting of two segments), a counter weight and a foot piece. These parts are currently housed in the Fire Station Museum in Bloemfontein. The optics of the telescope went back to Michigan University where it is currently in safekeeping.
- Part of the Bloemfontein branch of A.S.S.A. is an organisation called the “Friends of Boyden”. Their members has done stirling work in tracking the individual parts of the telescope and moving it to Ehrlichpark Fire Station Museum. For more information click here.
192? – 1972 University of Michigan.
- Detroit Observatory of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- 1926 – 1972 Lamont-Hussey, Bloemfontein
- The tube is housed at the Fire Station Museum in Bloemfontein
- The optics are held at Michigan University
Telescope taken apart and pieces of it is now at Fire Station Museum.
Aperture: 27 inch (68.58 cm)
Manufacturer: Lens made by Jena in Europe, and was of exceptional quality and had great resolution power.
Building: The Lamont-Hussey Observatory is now used as a theatre. The building is located on Naval Hill, a nature reserve on a hill in the middle of the City of Bloemfontein.
- Moore, P. & Collins, P., “Astronomy in Southern Africa”, p (General Source)
- Schindler, K.S.: ” EC Slipher’s Mars Expeditions to South Africa“, MNASSA vol 66 nos 7 & 8, August 2007.
- Smits P.: “A Brief History of Astronomy in Southern Africa”. (Unpublished).
Ehrlich Park Fire Station Museum.
Found in a field alongside an aircraft hangar at a fire brigade station in Bloemfontein. The counterweight assembly in the foreground with the lower part of the telescope tube in the background. For more information see Ehrlich Park Fire Station Museum.
Source: A.S.S.A. Symposium 2002: Paper 05 Penning: The Lamont-Hussey Observatory 1927- 1974.