100 cm (40 inch)
- It was named the Elizabeth Telescope because approval was given “in principle” to built the telescope, in the same year as Queen Elizabeth 2nd was crowned (1953).
- 1964: Formally opened.
- Used for Photoelectic Photometry.
- Observatory (Cape Town)
(Note: It is the same premises initially known as the Cape Observatory, now as S.A.A.O. headquarters in Observatory, Cape Town.)
Type: Reflector / Cassegrain
Aperture: 40 inch (101.6 cm)
- Prime focus: f/4.6
- Cassegrain focus: f/20
- Scmidt camera (f/3.9)
- Laing, J.D. (ed.), The Royal Observatory at the Cape of Good Hope 1820 – 1970 Sesquicentennial Offerings, p.17; p.31.
- Moore, P. & Collins, P., Astronomy in Southern Africa, p.83. (General Source)
- The South African Astronomical Observatory, p.4.
(Publication of SAAO, no author, no date)