100 cm (40 inch)
- It was named the Elizabeth Telescope because approval was given “in principle” to built the telescope, in the same year as Queen Elizabeth 2nd was crowned (1953).
- 1964: Formally opened.
- Used for Photoelectic Photometry.
The telescope was produced by Grubb-Parsons and shipped directly to Sutherland. Assembly of the telescope was overseen by Mr. T Haal from Grubb-Parsons. First light was achieved on 13 November 1963, exactly two months after the telescope arrived at Sutherland. Initially photographs were taken in the Cassegrain focus configuration until the Primary focus was assembled. (R.H.S.)
- Observatory (Cape Town)
(Note: It is the same premises initially known as the Cape Observatory, now as S.A.A.O. headquarters in Observatory, Cape Town.)
Type: Reflector / Cassegrain
Aperture: 40 inch (101.6 cm)
- Prime focus: f/4.6
- Cassegrain focus: f/20
- Scmidt camera (f/3.9)
Sir Howard Grubb Parsons & C o . of Newcastle, England.
The dome was a gift by Mr William Johnstone Yapp in 1931 for a 36-inch telescope at Greenwich. After the main instruments were moved to Herstmonceux in 1946 the telescope and dome fell into disuse. It was decided to move the dome in 1956 to the Royal Observatory, Cape of Good Hope (ROCGH) which was then still under the control of the Admiralty. In turn the dome was moved from the ROCGH to Sutherland.
- Laing, J.D. (ed.), The Royal Observatory at the Cape of Good Hope 1820 – 1970 Sesquicentennial Offerings, p.17; p.31.
- Moore, P. & Collins, P., Astronomy in Southern Africa, p.83. (General Source)
- The South African Astronomical Observatory, p.4.
(Publication of SAAO, no author, no date)
- R.H.S.: The Elizabeth Telescope (no publication information or date: Initials of Author is R.H.S.)