67 cm (26.5 inch)
- Following several requests, some dating back to 1903, the Minister for Lands, Johan Rissik in 1909 authorised the telescope for the Republic Observatory (then called Transvaal Meteorological Department). [Hers; Smits]
- The manufacturer was Grubb co. of Ireland. The telescope that was ordered in 1909. Due to delays caused by political problems in Ireland at that time, most of the mechanical parts had been completed in 1914 and was only installed in 1925.
- The Republic Observatory closed down and some of the instruments were moved to Sutherland. The Innes refractor remained behind at the old Observatory site, unused.
- In (year?) the (society?) restored the instrument and now it is open to the public on special occasions.
Aperture: 26.5 inch (67.3 cm)
Manufacturer: Sir Howard Grubb of Dublin (Ireland)
- Moore, P. & Collins, P., Astronomy in Southern Africa, p.97. (General Source)
- Africana Museum
- Hers, J., The History of the Transvaal Observatory. 1, 2 & 3, MNASSA, Vol. 46, Nos. 1 & 2 [Feb], 3 & 4 [April], 5 & 6 [June], 1987 (As well as personal communications between Hers and Smits)
- Moore, P. & Collins, P., Astronomy in Southern Africa, p.97, p.107. (General Source)
- Smits P. A Brief History of Astronomy in Southern Africa. (Unpublished).
- The South African Astronomical Observatory, p.18.
(Publication of SAAO, no author, no date)