7 inch (17 cm)
- Gill determined the solar parallax (in co-operation with Northern Hemisphere observations) of three minor Planets, Iris; Victoria and Sappho.
- Gill determined the distances to Southern Hemisphere stars.
1887 – ?: Cape Observatory.
Type: Reflector / Refractor
Aperture: 7 inch (17,78 cm)
Mirror / Lens:
- The mounting originally carried Gill’s heliometer.
- Later the mounting was used for the 18-inch telescope.
- Laing, J.D. (ed.), The Royal Observatory at the Cape of Good Hope 1820 – 1970 Sesquicentennial Offerings, pp.12 – 13; p.31.
The Repsold Heliometer. The sketch is part of a compilation of sketches concerning the Cape Observatory.
Published by “The Graphic”, 27 August 1892. Courtesy of Africana Museum, Johannesburg. Source: Moore.