23 cm (9 inch)
- The Republic Observatory (then known as the Transvaal Meteorological Department) was initially a meteorological institution. It was decided to diversify into astronomical observation. Director Innes, with the help of Dr Theodore Reunert acquired this telescope as the first astronomical instrument for the observatory. (? See Errata at bottom of page)
- Telescope erected in 1907 and known as the 9 inch telescope. In 1924 it was renamed the Reunert telescope in honour of Dr T Reunert, from the S. A. Association for the Advancement of Science, who had been one of the prime movers on having the Republic Observatory established and extended. This occasion was celebrated with a formal dinner. [Hers; Smits]
- During 1962 – 1964 a new office block with a library was built with two domes on its roof. The Reunert and Franklin Adam twin telescopes were moved here. [Hers]
Republic Observatory 1907 – ?
Aperture: 9 inch (22.8 cm)
Manufacturer: Grubb [Smits]
- Hers, J., The History of the Transvaal Observatory. 1, 2 & 3, MNASSA, Vol. 46, Nos. 1 & 2 [Feb], 3 & 4 [April], 5 & 6 [June], 1987 (As well as personal communications between Hers and Smits)
- Moore, P. & Collins, P., Astronomy in Southern Africa, p. 96. (General Source)
- Smits, P., A Brief History of Astronomy in Southern Africa. (Unpublished)
- Moore gives the spelling as Reunart. It should be Reunert [Personal communication with Vermeulen]
- Moore states that this telescope was the first telescope erected at the Republic Observatory. The first telescope was the ?